“Pona” is currently owned by Bob and James Tyson and families. She was built in 1928 by Ned Jack of Launceston for R.A. Perrin, (great uncle of Bob and James), to a Morgan Giles design using Huon pine planking and ribs on a hardwood keel. Several sailing dinghies were built for Low Head families by Ned Jack during the 1920’s and competed in a summer racing series as the lagoon Bay dinghies. Pona is one of the few left.
Pona’s ownership transferred to Cecil Woodruff (daughter of RA Perrin) and in the 1950’s to Geoff Tyson, father of Bob and James.
Pona went ashore and suffered serious damage in the 1940’s, as a result of which one side was built with double ribs. John Philip replaced the decks in the early 1970’s and Martin Rosemann replaced the keel in the early 1980’s.
On December 17 2017 PONA came off her moorings at Low Head and went onto a rocky part of the Lagoon Beach where she was stove in several places. She is now under repair at the Wooden Boat Centre and we expect her to be on the water once more before years end.